Today’s children are our future leaders, parents and workers. Our state’s prosperity depends on their healthy development and growth. Yet, these cuts will do anything but.
- North Carolina’s early childhood system which has served as a national model will be decimated.
- North Carolina’s future prosperity will suffer. Investments in young children are one of the strongest investments for sustained growth and job creation.
- For some children, the lack of quality education will literally change the structure of their brains. The brain of a child who has had positive early childhood experiences looks different from one who has not. The structure and wiring are visibly and significantly different.
- North Carolina will pay more for children requiring special education and more for adults who are under-employable, unemployable, or incarcerated.
- North Carolina’s dropout rate will continue to remain unacceptably high.
- Jack P. Shonkoff, M.D., discussion on the science of brain development and neuroscience at the Leadership Forum on Preparing North Carolina for a Prosperous Future.
- The Economic Impact of the Child Care Industry in North Carolina
- Science of Early Childhood Development
- The Economic Development Effects of Early Childhood Programs
- The Economics of Early Childhood Development as Seen by Two Fed Economists