Tomorrow morning the House Appropriations Committee on Health and Human Services will be meeting. They report that: “The Chairs will be asking members to discuss budget concerns and priorities.”
This will be a critical discussion that will set the stage for the House Budget. As far as we know, this committee will not address More At Four, it will be addressing cuts to child care subsidy, TEACH and Smart Start. Now is the time to put some more pressure on these committee members. The Child Care Coalition has provided a contact list (see below). Please take five minutes today to call, fax or email the legislators on this committee and remind them that early education is the basis for our state’s economic future.
- Smart Start is the infrastructure that supports the early education system in NC.
- Smart Start has taken cuts totaling $40 million over the past 8 years and this year has cut and additional $16 million.
- Smart Start provided over $20 million to MAF as local match this past year.
- Federal stimulus dollars should be used for child care subsidy to get folks back to work.
- TEACH is critical to keeping the quality of child care and keeping folks employed.
Please contact the House members who are chairs and members of the HHS Appropriations Subcommittee before 5:00 p.m. Monday, May 4.Please note that all faxes must contain the legislator’s name and room number.
House Appropriations Health and Human Services Subcommittee Co-chairs
Verla Insko, 307B1 LOB
Phone: (919)733-7208; Fax: (919)754-3185
Bob England, 303 LOB
Phone: (919)733-5749; Fax: (919)733-3113
Beverly Earle, 634 LOB
Phone: (919)715-2530; Fax: (919)733-3113
House Appropriations Health and Human Services Subcommittee Members
Jeff Barnhart, 608 LOB
Phone: (919)715-2009; Fax: (919)733-3113
Jean Farmer-Butterfield, 528 LOB
Phone: (919)733-5898; Fax: (919)733-3113
William Brisson, 1325 LB
Phone: (919)733-5772; Fax: (919)733-2599
Justin Burr, 1315 LB
Phone: (919)733-5908; Fax: (919)733-2599
Pearl Burris-Floyd, 1319 LB
Phone: (919)733-2002; Fax: (919)733-2599
Nelson Dollar, 1209 LB
Phone: (919)715-0795; Fax: (919)733-2599
Wil Neumann, 510 LOB
Phone: (919)733-5868; Fax: (919)733-3113
Randy Stewart, 1219 LB
Phone: (919)733-5802; Fax: (919)733-2599